Flying from Nuremburg, through Stansted to Rome on Ryan Air. Traveller has no passport but has a national ID for Germany. Is one required to transit Stansted if origin and final destination ports are in EU?

  • 19
    Now you know why that flight was cheaper lol. Commented Dec 19, 2022 at 2:12
  • 20
    If it's really cheaper to start by flying 500 miles in the wrong direction, then that's everything wrong with modern aeronautics right there. Commented Dec 19, 2022 at 12:59
  • 8
    Nothing wrong with aeronautics here... this has more to do with supply, demand, government subsidies, etc. Similar things exist in other modes of transport as well (trains, ferries...) Commented Dec 19, 2022 at 13:38
  • 6
    @Johnnyjanko: Okay, the modern aeronautics industry then. Commented Dec 19, 2022 at 14:44
  • 4
    @JackAidley It's simply inflexibility of supply. The plane is going to fly those legs anyway and incur nearly all of the costs, regardless if OP flies or not. They don't make planes (trains, boats, or busses) that are exactly 1 seat smaller. The airline rather make money than fly those seats empty.
    – user71659
    Commented Dec 19, 2022 at 21:25

3 Answers 3


Yes a passport is required. You now need a passport to enter the UK and Stansted does not have an international lounge area, so you have to enter the UK.

But before that you will also need to convince the airline that you have the right paperwork, and they know you need a passport for the UK, and they will not take the second flight in account as the airline can only see you entering the UK, and can not be sure you will take that second flight.

While some airlines are less strict, especially Ryanair is known to be more strict about passports and visa rules than even the countries they fly between and within.

  • 2
    My son travelled on an extended passport with me to the US some years back. Immigration was not a problem but the airline was. When you hear "I've never seen anything like this before" you know it is going to take a while. They really don't want to deal with you not coming in so they have to bring you back. Commented Dec 19, 2022 at 5:58
  • @ThorbjørnRavnAndersen I don't understand; what was the problem with your son's passport?
    – gerrit
    Commented Dec 19, 2022 at 7:19
  • 2
    @gerrit it would expire too soon to be allowed in so I got its validity period extended. The physical passport just had a handwritten annotation saying this Commented Dec 19, 2022 at 7:23
  • 4
    Note that the airline benefits. They sold the seat, then they deny boarding—and no refund because "it's not our fault you didn't have the proper documentation"
    – WGroleau
    Commented Dec 20, 2022 at 4:08

Since October 2021, the vast majority of EU citizens now require a passport to enter or transit the UK. There are a few exceptions which generally only apply to EU citizens that live/work in the UK, which presumably is not the case here.

From the European Union's website :

I am an EU national without any status under the UK's EU Settlement Scheme

To enter or transit the UK you will need a valid passport, which must be valid for the duration of your stay in the UK. ID cards are not accepted.

This is true for all UK airports.

Stansted airport specifically is different to some other major UK airports in that it is not possible to transit between flights (even between international flights) without passing through immigration. In other words, it's not possible to transit "airside" - all passengers need to clear immigration and officially enter the United Kingdom.

The UK Government's website is a little vague on whether an ID card can be used for transit, but is very clear that one is required when entering the country.

EU citizens generally do not require a visa to transit the UK.



You cannot use an EU, EEA or Swiss national ID card to enter the UK unless you meet certain criteria eg have pre-settled status. Stansted does not have an airside transit zone, you will need to clear Immigration https://www.stanstedairport.com/help/passenger-guides/connecting-flights/

Source: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/visiting-the-uk-as-an-eu-eea-or-swiss-citizen

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .