I wish to travel on holiday from UK to France - and back - with family members and a minor who is not one of my family. I have the parents' consent. The minor, like me, is British and has a UK passport.

What documentation do I need? The UK government advises checking the France government website, which fortunately contains an option to translate into English, but it is still not quite clear what documentation will be required.

  • Related: travel.stackexchange.com/questions/42805/… Nov 27, 2022 at 15:59
  • 1
    service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F1359/personnalisation/… indicates that in your case, you don't need an AST for the French side of the journey, either in or out.
    – audionuma
    Nov 27, 2022 at 21:32
  • you need a written consent from parents, stamped in notary... if you want to be 100% you will not have problems Nov 28, 2022 at 10:51
  • @audionuma that would seem to be the actual answer. Perhaps you should post it as an answer?
    – Fattie
    Nov 28, 2022 at 13:18
  • 1
    There's a big gap between what you're required to provide in order to be 100% safe - which is answered below, and what you're likely to need in practice - which is nothing.
    – ugoren
    Dec 2, 2022 at 14:45

2 Answers 2


You need letters of permission from anyone with parental responsibility

Abduction of children is a thing; international abduction is more serious because legal systems differ between countries, and cross-border enforcement of court orders for child custody and support is extremely difficult. Airlines and a country's exit immigration officers are sometimes very sensitive, and may ask about permission.

Thus, you should carry written statements from both of the child's parents, or the parent who has sole custody and control, identifying the child, and identifying you, and stating that you have permission to take the child from the departure airport and country to a specific destination. Contact details for the parents should be provided to allow quick verification if required. Template letters can be drafted from a reputable legal template.

The rules for Portugal are stricter but otherwise this answer would apply when travelling from UK to any EU country. The French have some rules for French children leaving the territory, but these do not apply to the case above as the family and accompanying minor are British tourists.

If you're asked, and you cannot provide such written evidence, the child (and probably you) won't be allowed to board the flight or whatever means of transport is chosen.

  • 5
    The german automobil club offers Travel authorization for children forms in multiple languages (but not the combination english/french), so you might want to look at what the corresponding British or French clubs offer.Reisevollmacht für Kinder | ADAC Nov 27, 2022 at 4:42
  • 1
    Might it need to be notarized? Or help Nov 27, 2022 at 17:41
  • 1
    @AzorAhai-him- At the bottom of the form there is a box with: Raum für amtliche Vermerke (Room for official notes), which is where such a notarization would be placed. Copy of passports page of the Parents/guardians and contact information would then leave no questions open. Reisevollmacht für alleinreisendes Kind (Deutsch-Englisch ; German/English) Nov 27, 2022 at 17:56
  • 1
    flight or Eurostar — or, of course, the ferry or shuttle (private automobiles remain an extremely popular way of travel).
    – gerrit
    Nov 28, 2022 at 7:54
  • 1
    The written statements should also be time-bound (specify start and end dates). Leave some leeway for travel incidents. Nov 28, 2022 at 8:40

Depending on the age of the child they could fly "on their own".

Whilst looking into the documentation needed you may find that the documents needed for a minor to fly on their own are simpler/easier to complete/obtain than the one's necessary to fly with a non-guardian.

  • 1
    Pretending that the child is travelling alone sounds like deceiving the authorities, which might be a bad idea? And of course, this only works with public transport (or maybe bicycle on ferry, if the minor is old enough for that to be a reasonable alternative), not if OP is travelling by car.
    – gerrit
    Nov 28, 2022 at 15:39
  • If they are of legal age to travel on their own then make that official arrangement. You may then happen to talk/eat/interact with them but that doesn't change the official arrangement the minor has. But yes if travelling by car this doesn't work.
    – Sam Dean
    Nov 28, 2022 at 16:08

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .