I am trying to figure out if I can take non alcoholic beer with me to my family in Louisiana. I could only find this Louisiana State Legislature article which mentions:

"Alcoholic beverage" means beer, distilled spirits, and wine containing one-half of one percent or more of alcohol by volume.

And the beer I want to bring is 0.3% ABV. It's labeled non-alcoholic here and that's clearly readable and understandable from the label.

  • 1
    Sounds like you identified it's not an alcoholic beverage. Probably the same rules apply as for Coca-Cola, then. If in doubt, declare it to customs and they will tell you whether it's allowed, and if it's not allowed you will have to throw it out. Commented Nov 8, 2022 at 15:45
  • How old are you, and how much do you plan to bring?
    – jcaron
    Commented Nov 8, 2022 at 15:59
  • Also, where will you enter the United States (your "Port of Entry")?
    – jcaron
    Commented Nov 8, 2022 at 16:01
  • Also, are you a visitor or a returning resident?
    – jcaron
    Commented Nov 8, 2022 at 16:34
  • 1
    Oops, took that to be a link to the Netherlands. Commented Nov 8, 2022 at 17:13

1 Answer 1


Here are some of the possible issues with bringing (potentially) alcoholic beverages into the US from abroad:

  • Export from the Netherlands: I don't believe there would be an issue in this case.
  • Security: if you want to keep them in your hand luggage, you won't be allowed to have any container larger than 100 ml, and all containers holding liquids must fit into a 1l bag. So most probably not in hand luggage. For checked bags, there's no limitation on volume for beverages with low alcohol content like those. Don't forget to pack all containers very well, you don't want beer spilling in your bags.
  • Customs on entry into the US: Alcoholic beverages generally have a 1l duty free allowance. If they consider it to be an alcoholic beverage, then you must declare it if you have more than 1l. There may be stricter rules per state (which will depend on the port of entry). If it's not an alcoholic beverage, then those are goods you intend to leave in the US, so you should declare their value. If you remain under $100 (visitor) or $800 (returning resident), no taxes.
  • Agricultural inspection on entry into the US (performed by customs): since this is may be classified as a form of food, you should declare it, but there should be no issue with that.
  • Other restrictions in any state you go through on your way: depends on the state.
  • If you are under 21: no, no, no.

Basically, just declare it on form 6059B if you are given one or on the kiosks if they ask the question. If any CBP officer asks, just say you have (X quantity of) non-alcoholic beer. They should wave you away pretty fast.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .