I immigrated to Canada when I was 4 under my mother’s passport, and obtained Canadian citizenship within 6 years, all before the year 2000. I never had an Indian passport.

I’ve been to India since, the e-Visa process always seemed to be fine.

This time though, I had to use the paper visa, and they are asking me for proof of renunciation of Indian citizenship. I tried providing my mother’s, which includes my name under the Minors category, and providing my citizenship certificate which has the year I was made a Canadian citizen, but it was rejected and they want proof of renunciation.

I tried to start the application, but it requires me to go surrender my passport at Passport Seva… I am at a loss, I have never had an Indian passport. I can set the passport number to “00000” or “LOST” but every affidavit assumes I have a passport instead of never having had one. Is there a correct process for people like me who obtained foreign citizenship without ever having an Indian passport?

  • Not having a passport is not the same as not being a citizen (the vast majority of Indian citizens don’t have a passport). I suppose you were an Indian citizen by birth, but your current status depends a lot on chronology (you may still be an Indian citizen). Can you give dates of your birth and your mother’s renunciation? Did your father renounce citizenship as well?
    – jcaron
    Commented Nov 1, 2022 at 20:54
  • I am guessing, as you traveled under your mother's passport, it was your passport too. You mother would have had to surrender it at that time as per the law. Do you have any copies of those records, tickets (I know it is too much to expect) and the passport? Commented Nov 1, 2022 at 22:00
  • 1
    Wikipedia tells us “Minor children lost citizenship only if their fathers (not mothers) relinquished that status until 1992” which is one the reasons why exact chronology is important. If only OP’s mother relinquished Indian citizenship, and that happened before 1992, then OP is still an Indian citizen. Other situations may need different evidence.
    – jcaron
    Commented Nov 1, 2022 at 22:28
  • 1
    Was your father an Indian citizen?
    – phoog
    Commented Nov 4, 2022 at 10:41

1 Answer 1


As a former Indian citizen, you qualify for the Overseas Citizenzhip of India which is essentially a lifetime visa for a flat fee.

With the witholding of the indian e-Visa facility for Canadians, I highly suggest you applying for this instead of paper visas

  • 1
    It’s not even certain OP is a “former” Indian citizen. They may actually still be one.
    – jcaron
    Commented Nov 1, 2022 at 22:30
  • He is still an Indian citizen. He was supposed to choose and renounce the citizenship at age of 18. That didn't happen. (This is my assumption. Need to contact indian highcommission or consulate in canada to confirm the next steps.) Commented Nov 2, 2022 at 1:18
  • @AnishSheela The OP says they were included as minors in their mother's renunciation. Commented Nov 2, 2022 at 3:53
  • @lambshaanxy Its not possible to renounce the Indian citizenship as a minor. Only case where an Indian citizen is allowed to keep dual citizenship is if the person is a minor. For example, a child born in US will be having dual US-Indian citizenship. At 18, they are supposed to renounce either of the citizenship. The OP's issue seems to be complicated and may have to contact Indian highcommision to resolve. Commented Nov 2, 2022 at 4:43
  • 3
    @anishSheela If a parent ceases to be an Indian citizen, all minor childrens ceases being Indian citizens at the same time, see point 1 in this official help document Commented Nov 2, 2022 at 7:32

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .