I am an Australian citizen working in the UK on a Tier 2 visa, I have legally changed my name in the UK (by stat dec) and Australia (via updated birth certificate).

Next week I will be updating it on my passport. I haven't yet applied to change my Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), since I assume it needs to agree with my passport.

My new passport will probably take at least 6 weeks to arrive. Meanwhile I will still have my old one and I know I can travel on that. My new BRP will take unknown time to arrive; i am not sure if they will take my old one away when I ask for a new one, or just tell me to destroy my old one once the new one arrives. I have a lot of travel to do over the next few months, and so don't want to be stuck. (In general as a non-citizen I am terrified of not having the ability to leave and enter the country at will)

Should I apply for a new BRP around the same time I submit my new passport application paperwork next week? Or should I hold off until i have the new passport in my hands?

1 Answer 1


According to https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/biometric-residence-permits-overseas-applicant-and-sponsor-information/biometric-residence-permits-overseas-applicant-and-sponsor-information-accessible-version you have three months to notify changes to your personal details on your biometric residence permit

You must tell us as soon as you can if:

  • you change your name (for example, because of marriage or by deed poll);

  • you change your gender, legally or permanently;

  • you change your nationality; or

  • your facial appearance changes significantly.

If you change any personal details listed above or any details shown on your biometric residence permit, you must apply for a new permit within three months, by making an application for transfer of conditions (TOC) or no time limit (NTL). You can download the application forms and guidance at Transfer Visa

If you do not do this, you may have to pay a financial penalty of up to £1,000 or your permission to stay may be shortened.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .