This question already has an answer here:

I am citizen of Turkey with a Tourist visa for Canada. My flight is from İstanbul through New York then Toronto.

Do I need a US visa for my transit journey?

By the way, we are not ESTA member.

marked as duplicate by Vince, uncovery, Dirty-flow, Gagravarr, Karlson May 24 '13 at 11:23

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.


Yes, you need a visa. The United States does not recognize the idea of visa-free transit, you will have to go through Immigration and then go out again.


The US has a C-1 Transit Visa that's supposed to be used for cases like yours, but this is apparently just as is difficult, time-consuming and expensive to get as a regular visa.

Is there any way you can change your flight not to go through the US? There are plenty of direct flights from Canada to Europe.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.