I'm a British citizen and my company is sending me to a conference in the EU (the Netherlands) later this month.

Do I need to apply for a work visa while I am attending the conference?

This is my first time travelling to Europe since Brexit, and I am a little unsure of the rules. The Foreign Office website was quite vague on if it is necessary or not. No-one at the company seems to know either.

Does anyone have any advice on this?

  • 9
    The UK gov travel advice site for the Netherlands says You can travel to countries in the Schengen area for up to 90 days in any 180-day period without a visa. This applies if you travel as a tourist, to visit family or friends, to attend business meetings, cultural or sports events, or for short-term studies or training. Which covers your conference gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/netherlands/entry-requirements
    – Traveller
    Commented Sep 8, 2022 at 11:42

1 Answer 1


You do not need a visa or work authorisation to travel to the EU / Schengen area to attend conferences or trainings. This is fully within the scope of “business travel” covered by short-stay Schengen visas (for people who require one) or visa-free travel (for people who do not, including British citizens). Even company-internal trainings would be allowed.

  • 2
    Including a source for this (perhaps just cribbing it from the one quoted in a comment on the question) would be helpful. Otherwise, it's just "some guy (with a lot of rep at Travel, to be fair) on the internet says".
    – FreeMan
    Commented Sep 9, 2022 at 15:11

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .