Before Brexit, a Dutch ID card was valid to travel to the UK.
Since Brexit, I'm not sure. I hear conflicting information.
Some claim an ID card is still OK, others say a passport is needed.

Can someone clarify?

  • 1
    A little factsheet here, could be useful for emergency travel: Republic of Ireland is still in the EU (and isn't apparently going anywhere else). It is not a part of Schengen (but it has nothing to do with the right of free movement guaranteed by the EU, therefore you can go there on your ID) in order to be elligible to be a member of a Common Travel Area, together with the UK (and happens to be a member). This could be described in a great simplification as "UK-internal Schengen Zone". Travel from the Rep of Ireland to Northern Ireland (UK) is almost-domestic and island hopping is domestic. Commented Aug 29, 2022 at 21:55
  • @MobileDevelopment A source for that is gov.ie/en/service/…
    – Traveller
    Commented Aug 30, 2022 at 7:21
  • @MobileDevelopment However, this gov.uk/guidance/… states the same as in the answer below And some further context from recent media reports express.co.uk/news/politics/1661700/…
    – Traveller
    Commented Aug 30, 2022 at 7:27

1 Answer 1


A Dutch national who resides in the UK through the settlement scheme can continue to use a Dutch national ID card to enter the UK. There are a few other fairly uncommon circumstances in which a Dutch national ID card may be used. For everyone else, a passport is necessary.

See https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control/before-you-leave-for-the-uk:

You cannot use a national identity card from an EU country, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein to enter the UK unless you:

  • have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme, or Jersey, Guernsey or the Isle of Man’s settlement schemes
  • have an EU Settlement Scheme family permit, or the equivalent from Jersey, Guernsey or the Isle of Man
  • have a Frontier Worker permit
  • are an S2 Healthcare Visitor
  • are a Swiss national and have a Service Provider from Switzerland visa

The underlying logic here is that passports are generally required, but use of a national ID card is part of the right of free movement that is preserved after Brexit for certain people who were exercising the right at the time of the UK's withdrawal from the EU.

(The Swiss Service Provider provision will be related to a free movement of services agreement between Switzerland and the EU, or perhaps between Switzerland and the UK, but I do not know the details; I only included it in the quotation for the sake of completeness.)

  • 1
    @Tonny basically that's it, but even someone who lives in the UK having moved there after Brexit without using the EU settlement scheme (for example, with the same sort of work visa that any non-EU national would need) will need to use a passport.
    – phoog
    Commented Aug 29, 2022 at 10:33
  • 1
    @gerrit I just returned from a holiday visit to the UK last week. No stamp. Not when leaving in Calais (Channel Tunnel) and not at the ferry terminal in Harwich (we returned by ferry to Hoek van Holland). They just glanced briefly at our passports and we were through.
    – Tonny
    Commented Aug 29, 2022 at 11:48
  • 7
    @BernhardDöbler it seems that there are roughly 6 million EUSS applications granted, of whom roughly 1/8 are third-country nationals. Whether something over 5 million is "not many" is both a matter of opinion and dependent upon context.
    – phoog
    Commented Aug 29, 2022 at 16:06
  • 5
    @BernhardDöbler Taking the UK population as approaching 68million, roughly 6million applications is not far off 10% of the entire population. Hard to see how that is not many
    – Traveller
    Commented Aug 29, 2022 at 17:49
  • 3
    @AndrewRay of course. As I said, I included that for the sake of completeness, since the material I was quoting applies to more countries than just the Netherlands, but I figured it would be easier for readers to discount the irrelevant bullet point on their own than to wonder what had been removed and replaced by "..." or whatever else. And I didn't want to omit it silently because it would be inaccurate to quote something that seemed to enumerate all the applicable exceptions for EU/EEA/CH nationals but didn't in fact include them all.
    – phoog
    Commented Aug 29, 2022 at 20:51

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .