my passport is about to expire. I am a British citzen with a British passport. I hold an EU residency card. Would I be able to travel from the UK to Denmark without a passport, as long as I have the residency card?

This may be a stupid question, but I want to ask in case. I am worried how long it will take for a renewed passport to arrive, the same with a emergency passport.

  • Someone with better knowledge may answer definitively, however the UK government travel advice page indicates the answer is No gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/denmark/entry-requirements If you are a resident in Denmark, you must travel with relevant documents - a valid passport, health insurance card, residence permit, residence card, EU registration certificate or personal identification document with proof of address
    – Traveller
    Commented Aug 3, 2022 at 17:28
  • As a British citizen you might be able to get a passport in one day by going to a special passport location.
    – Willeke
    Commented Aug 3, 2022 at 17:31
  • @Willeke Unlikely homeofficemedia.blog.gov.uk/2022/07/18/…
    – Traveller
    Commented Aug 3, 2022 at 17:52
  • Here's a more specific link about last-minute UK passport process. Commented Aug 3, 2022 at 19:59
  • @DavidSupportsMonica The UK press has been full of passport issuing delay horror stories for months. A last-minute process certainly exists (for a fee) however it is dependent on getting a rare as hens-teeth appointment mobile.twitter.com/ukpassportcheck
    – Traveller
    Commented Aug 3, 2022 at 20:31

1 Answer 1


I hold an EU residency card

Unlike the US, an EU residency card is not a passport replacement and must be accompanied by a valid passport.

The Schengen border code states :

Entry conditions for third-country nationals
  1. For intended stays on the territory of the Member States of a duration of no more than 90 days in any 180-day period, which entails considering the 180-day period preceding each day of stay, the entry conditions for third-country nationals shall be the following:

(a) they are in possession of a valid travel document entitling the holder to cross the border, satisfying the following criteria:

(i) its validity shall extend at least three months after the intended date of departure from the territory of the Member States. In a justified case of emergency, this obligation may be waived;

(ii) it shall have been issued within the previous 10 years;


  1. On entry and exit, third-country nationals shall be subject to thorough checks as follows:

(a) thorough checks on entry shall comprise verification of the conditions governing entry laid down in Article 6(1) and, where applicable, of documents authorising residence and the pursuit of a professional activity. This shall include a detailed examination covering the following aspects:

verification that the third-country national is in possession of a document which is valid for crossing the border and which has not expired, and that the document is accompanied, where applicable, by the requisite visa or residence permit;

For all intents and purposes in this case, a valid travel document entitling the holder to cross the border is a national passport

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .