I am a non-EU citizen with a residence permit in France expiring some day soon.

I have started the application for a new residence permit (and I believe I have the right documents, if that's relevant).

However, the French authority (the Prefecture) has not processed my application for a residence permit yet. All I have for proof is a PDF saying that I submitted an application.

I have followed France's guideline of applying for a residence permit (i.e. at least two months before my current one expires). However, it has been two months since I made my application and they have not yet gotten back to me.

Can I stay in France / EU with an expired residence permit but with this PDF proof that I have an application waiting?

I have looked at the other possibly relevant topics but my question has not been answered as most of them ask about travelling. My question is about staying while waiting.

  • 2
    Searching (and asking) at Expatriates Stack Exchange will bring you better results. Jul 23, 2022 at 10:41
  • 1
    Read the letter they gave you very carefully. I am not sure about France's procedures, but in Austria (where I live on a residence permit) once you have given your application to the authority it extends the validity of your current permit until they make a decision.
    – Ozzy
    Jul 23, 2022 at 16:03
  • Thank you for the comment. I don't think any document I received told me that my current permit's validity extends automatically. I'm changing status from being a researcher to an employee, if that makes a difference.
    – Pepe Smith
    Jul 23, 2022 at 17:29
  • @PepeSmith I am sure that it's the same in France as Austria. The best place to ask would be either the authority or your employer. I made the same switch here (from a 2yr researcher permit to a 3 yr skilled worker permit).
    – Ozzy
    Jul 23, 2022 at 17:40

1 Answer 1


My understanding is that you have an attestation de dépôt de demande de renouvellement de carte de séjour, i.e. an acknowledgement that you have made a request to renew your residence permit. Unfortunately, this document doesn't really help.

Cette attestation n'est pas un document provisoire de séjour. Il ne justifie pas de la régularité de votre séjour.

“This attestation is not a temporary residence permit. It cannot be used as evidence that you are in the country legally.”

If they take more than three months (not two) to process your application, you should get either an “attestation de prolongation de l'instruction de la demande” (attestation that the response to the application has been lengthened) or ideally an “attestation de décision favorable à la demande” (attestation that the application has been approved). For a renewal, both allow you to stay in France and work.

If you can apply in person at the (sous)-préfecture, then someone will check that you've submitted all the required papers on the spot, and they will deliver a récépissé de demande de renouvellement de titre de séjour. Unlike an attestation, a récépissé does allow you to stay in France. It also allows you to work in most (all?) cases where the carte de séjour will allow you to work.

The list on the French government site correspond to the list of documents allowing entry into the Schengen area. You can enter with an attestation de prolongation de l'instruction or a récépissé but not with an attestation de dépôt de la demande. (Some countries' temporary documents don't allow entering through another Schengen country — this is one of the few exceptions where you can't enter the Schengen area wherever you want — but France's temporary documents are recognized by the other Schengen countries.)

I have no idea if it's possible to apply in person in the post-Covid era. The procedures depend on the préfecture. Unfortunately, in many places, you need an appointment and it's effectively impossible to get one.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .