I'm driving from Virginia to Washington state later this month. In Virginia, I use an EZ-Pass device that automatically pays my tolls. But I understand that these devices are regional. When driving cross-country, am I best off just using quarters? Or can I buy 1-2 more devices to cover tolls across the entire country?

  • In a word: Cash. – Flimzy May 19 '13 at 9:28
  • wave of the future: Golden Gate Bridge no longer accepts cash. If you do not have a transponder, there are places you can pull off to buy a one-time ticket. – Andrew Lazarus Jun 13 '17 at 21:05

Depending on which route you take you may pass through at least 2 or 3 Electronic toll collection systems you can find most of them on the Government Services Administration page.

If you take the most direct route via West Virginia, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and then via I-90 to Washington, you might need EZ Pass, Mn Pass, and Washington's Good to Go.

You can look at other states that have the Electronic Toll collection systems unaffiliated with other states like California, Texas, Florida, Oklahoma, Colorado, and Kansas. So generally I wouldn't bother with buying the transponders from them just keep some cash on hand for now and wait until you get License Plate billing technology installed like in Canada or Israel. California seems to be moving in that direction...

  • +1 esp. for the useful GSA link. FWIW however, MnPASS is only required if you want to use the "Express Lanes" on certain highways; the regular lanes remain toll-free. Similarly, the only mandatory toll facilities in Washington are the Route 520 Bridge and the Tacoma Narrows Bridge; no need for a Good to Go if you won't be taking them. – choster May 17 '13 at 20:53
  • @choster Amended (slightly) – Karlson May 17 '13 at 21:11
  • 4
    Florida and Colorado have license plate billing. Most states between VA and WA don't have many, if any toll roads. – xpda May 18 '13 at 3:46
  • @xpda True. Didn't pay enough attention to those states. – Karlson May 18 '13 at 4:20
  • Kansas has a few toll roads. Most of I-35 from just north of the OK/KS border, up to Topeka, then Kansas city is toll. You may drive on a small portion of that if crossing the state from west to east. – Flimzy May 19 '13 at 9:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.