I am non-EU citizen. I have a Spanish permanent residency (Residencua Larga Duracion) that expires in 2026. I moved to United Kingdom permanently a year ago for work purpose. I have the UK residency permit now.

With my Spanish PR card, I often go to Spain and border control doesn't say a word as I have the spainsh residency card.

I am wondering what would happen to my residency permit eventually in Spain ? Can I keep going to Spain and other Schengen countries with my spanish residency card until it expires in 2026 ?

  • 2
    If they notice that you have been permanently absent (short visits may not count) for 12 months, you may lose your long-term resident status. Long-term residence or EU long-term residence recovery visa: ... been absent from European Union territory for 12 consecutive months or ... Jun 22 at 11:17
  • 1
    Thanks, short term visits may not count. There is ambiguity there. What I have heard from professional immigration lawyers that the short visits do count and it should not be a problem. But there is no way to check if the card is still valid or extinguished
    – Geeky
    Jun 22 at 11:28
  • 2
    Short visits count as presence in the EU for the purpose of right of EU long-term residents following the ECJ decision this year. However, it only applies if your residence card was derived from the EU law and not Spanish national law alone.
    – xngtng
    Jun 22 at 12:02
  • 6
    This might be better on expats.
    – jcm
    Jun 22 at 12:16
  • 1
    Hi Geeky. The "Travel" site is for short term travel, like vacations. We have another site called Expatriates for questions about living and working abroad. This question should soon be migrated there. Jun 22 at 14:56


Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.