My son holds a UK passport. He is married to an american girl and has a daughter and has lived in America for around 15 years. He is a legal resident. What paperwork does he need to travel to the UK for 10 days and then back to the USA ?

2 Answers 2


To travel to the UK, your son will need his UK passport. For travel from the UK back to the US, he will need his UK passport and his US green card. No other travel paperwork should be necessary.

The only exception might be if his daughter is under 18, and he were to travel with his daughter but without his wife. Additional paperwork might be needed to prove his wife gave permission for him to travel with his daughter. This would not be necessary if he travels alone or with his whole family.

  • 4
    Why would he need consent from his wife to travel with his own daughter?
    – SirHawrk
    Jun 20 at 7:35
  • 30
    @SirHawrk Many countries wish to prevent international child abduction and may either require a letter of permission or a court order, or look more closely into the situation when a child is travelling with only one adult or with u related adults.
    – xngtng
    Jun 20 at 7:48
  • 2
    @SirHawrk In order to make sure that she has agreed to the daughter travelling with him.
    – glglgl
    Jun 20 at 9:05
  • 4
    The UK Border Force has published a relevant document, which states inter alia, "If you are travelling with a child (under 18) and are not the child’s parent, or may appear not to be the parent (for example, if you have a different family name), we may ask you a few questions to establish your relationship with the child." (My emphasis) Jun 20 at 15:34
  • 8
    When my in-laws have taken our daughters on holiday to Portugal, officers at both ends have been very strict on looking at these permissions documents - just to ensure our children were not being kidnapped/trafficked
    – Rory Alsop
    Jun 20 at 15:52

I myself am a UK citizen with a US residency and I've been travelling to the UK and back with a UK passport and my green card for 5 years. I want to advise in case your son is not vaccinated to get a test, since after it was announced that the UK no longer requires tests/vax status, they asked me for those. I also advise in case your son wants to get a citizenship in the future to not leave for more than a year as this may be a reason to reject the application.

  • 1
    any specific vaccinations, or just in general?
    – CMaster
    Jun 21 at 15:23
  • not sure, you should double-check with your carrier (UK gov will say you don't need anything to fly there)
    – Slim Shady
    Jun 21 at 19:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.