My mom is applying for a tourist visa. She has been a permanent resident but went to live in her country of origin for a couple of years. The application asks for National Identification Number and US Social Security number. We provided the US social security number but I wonder if the national application number should be her A-number from the green card.

Also wondering what type of visa to choose:

  1. Business/tourism (temporary visitor) B1/B2
  2. Tourism/Medical treatment B2

She is coming here for tourism only.

  • 4
    Has she formally renounced her LPR status? That could incur issues with the visa process Commented Jun 18, 2022 at 13:57

1 Answer 1


Specifically to your question, the National Identification Number refers to the ID number in her country of origin.

Unless your mother has formally renounced her LPR status, she'll need to do it first before applying for a visa (or apply for a returning resident SB-1 visa). There's no fee.

Here are the instructions on how to do it as listed on the US embassy in the Netherlands webpage:

  • Download and fill in form I-407 from the USCIS website.
    • Make sure you fill in your A number
    • Sign the form
  • Send the following documents to the USCIS Eastern Forms Center (address below):
    • The I-407 form
    • The Green Card (also known as form I-551, if available). If not available, the appropriate box in Part 1, item 11.b should be checked
    • All other issued USCIS booklets and cards, if applicable
    • Make sure to provide a return address.
   USCIS Eastern Forms Center
   Attn: I-407 Unit
   124 Leroy Road
   Williston, VT 05495
   United States
  • If LPR is not renounced, is a visa even required?
    – Simson
    Commented Jul 13, 2022 at 5:51
  • @Simson yes, LPR who was absent from the US for more than a year without REP needs a visa to return (SB-1)
    – littleadv
    Commented Jul 13, 2022 at 5:56

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .