I am flying from USA to London England, then to Belfast Northern Ireland. My flight back to USA departs from Dublin, so to catch my flight I will cross the land border between Northern Ireland (UK) and Republic of Ireland, which is uncontrolled.

Like USA, I assume UK has records of people leaving via plane to track overstays, even if there is no physical exit control. Will my itinerary cause a problem with UK immigration because they have no record of how I left the country?

(my citizenship is USA)

  • 3
    This answer suggests you'll need to get an Irish entry stamp when you cross the NI border. Presumably they'll let the UK know that you've left
    – molypot
    May 18 at 2:34
  • 1
    Ireland and the UK share immigration data, so UK will know when you've left the CTA.
    – miken32
    May 20 at 19:37

1 Answer 1


I don't think it should be an issue when you leave. The common travel area allows both Ireland and the UK to share information whenever people enter and leave the area.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.