I have a Namibian passport and I'm currently working in Germany with a National long-stay D visa which will expire early May. My appointment at the Auslanderbehorde for the residence permit card is on the 29th of March.

I want to travel to Italy in mid-May, by then my visa will be expired. I know I will get a Fiktionbescheinigung at the Auslanderbehorde, but I'm not sure which type. As a Namibian, I would usually need a Schengen visa to travel to EU countries, but I know my D visa entitles me to travel within the Schengen area, so will this be possible when I only have the Fiktionbescheinigung?

I'm pretty sure my permit card will not be ready by my intended travel date considering the pandemic and Ukrainian refugee crisis which I've heard is placing a bit of strain on the Auslanderbehorde in Leipzig.

EDIT: Whether or not I can travel seems to depend on whether I get my Fiktionbeschenigung based on paragraph 3 or 4 of Section 81. My interpretation is that I will get it based on (4):

(4) If a foreigner applies for an extension of his or her residence title or for a different residence title before his or her current residence title expires, the current residence title is deemed to remain in force from the time it expires until the time of the decision by the foreigners authority. This does not apply to visas issued in accordance with section 6 (1).

Because I am indeed a foreigner applying for a different residence title before my current (national long-stay D visa) residence title expires. Nowe we can arque about what "residence title" means and whether my D visa qualifies as one which seems to be the point of contention here, since everyone seems to believe that my residence permit application counts as a "first time" application. According to this document issued by BAMF:

The five types of residence titles are as follows: a visa, a residence permit, a settlement permit, an EU long-term residence permit and an EU Blue Card

Therefore, though I am a first time applicant for a residence permit, I am not a first_time applicant for a residence title. My conviction on this matter is further bolstered by the fact that later in paragraph for they go out of their way to specify that:

This does not apply to visas issued in accordance with section 6 (1)

Section 6 (1) being for Schengen visas and transit visas. My visa being of course based on paragraph (3) of Section 6, not the exception (1), you could see why I would think this does apply to me.

So, can anyone tell me where my logic goes wrong? None of the information that is valid for a US citizen is valid for me so I cannot refer to those previous posts and existing questions as I simply do not think they are relevant to my case, as no US citizen had to go through the D visa application.

  • A Fiktionsbescheinigung is not valid for travel to other Schengen Countries when it contains the text Gilt nicht für Auslandsreisen. This will be the case for persons who require a Schengen Visa to enter the Schengen Area and are not renewing their residence permit. So you must check and see if the Fiktionsbescheinigung contains this text or not. Commented Mar 22, 2022 at 13:36
  • @MarkJohnson could someone in this situation reasonably expect to receive a visa through the Italian consulate in Germany? If so, would the trip outside Germany pose a risk to the pending application? If you know the answers to these questions, perhaps you should post an answer.
    – phoog
    Commented Mar 22, 2022 at 13:45
  • @MarkJohnson "This will be the case for persons who require a Schengen Visa to enter the Schengen Area and are not renewing their residence permit" - by residence permit, do you mean an existing residence permit card, and not the long-stay national visa that I currently have?
    – Sone
    Commented Mar 22, 2022 at 13:51
  • A residence permit must exist. Schengen Border Code: Article 2 (Definitions) 16. ‘residence permit’ excludes in (b)(i) 'temporary permits issued pending examination of a first application for a residence permit'. Commented Mar 22, 2022 at 15:36
  • For persons who do not require a visa, can travel with their Fiktionsbescheinigung and passport, with the Fiktionsbescheinigung serving as an replacement for the (possibly outdated) entry stamp. Commented Mar 22, 2022 at 15:37

1 Answer 1


Yes, I also think your conclusion is correct.

You should then receive a Fiktionsbescheinigung based on § 81(4), since the text below (81.4.0) explicitly includes a national visa where the issuance requirements for a residence permit have already been determined (6.4.1).

81.4.0 General Administrative Provisions for the Residence Act (page 335)
In [§ 81] Absatz 4 wird eine Sonderregelung für die Fälle getroffen, in denen der Betroffene bereits einen Aufenthaltstitel besitzt. Hiervon erfasst sind auch Fälle, in denen der Betroffene ein nationales Visum besitzt.

[§ 81] Paragraph 4 contains a special regulation for cases in which the person concerned already has a residence permit. This also includes cases in which the person concerned has a national visa.

6.4.1 (page 57)
Nach § 4 Absatz 1 Satz 2 Nummer 1 ist das nationale Visum ein eigenständiger Aufenthaltstitel. Seine Erteilung richtet sich gemäß § 6 Absatz 4 Satz 2 nach den für die Aufenthalts- und Niederlassungserlaubnis sowie die Erlaubnis zum Daueraufenthalt-EG je nach Aufenthaltszweck geltenden Vorschriften. Bereits für die Erteilung des Visums müssen daher neben den allgemeinen Regelerteilungsvoraussetzung gemäß ... erforderlichen besonderen tatbestandlichen Erfordernisse erfüllt sein. Vor Ablauf der Geltungsdauer des Visums ist entsprechend dem bei der Visumerteilung angegebenen Aufenthaltszweck eine Aufenthaltserlaubnis, Niederlassungserlaubnis oder Erlaubnis zum Daueraufenthalt-EG im Inland zu beantragen.

According to § 4 paragraph 1 sentence 2 number 1, the national visa is an independent residence title. Its issuance is based on Section 6 Paragraph 4 Clause 2 according to the regulations applicable to the residence and settlement permit as well as the EC long-term residence permit, depending on the purpose of the stay. For the issuance of the visa, therefore, in addition to the general standard issuance requirements must be met according to ... necessary special factual requirements. Before the validity of the visa expires, a residence permit, settlement permit or permit for long-term EC residence in Germany must be applied for, depending on the purpose of the stay stated when the visa was issued.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .