I am planning to visit my boyfriend in June for three months, however my biggest problem is proving that I have a reason to come back. I recently completed my studies in Hotel Reception and was employed at the same company I did my internship, but my contract is only until 31 May 2013,and thereafter I'll be leaving for Germany. My question is ... how do I prove that I have a reason to come back to South Africa besides family ?

  • 1
    Is it correct to assume you are a holder of South African passport, and your boyfriend lives in Germany? May 1, 2013 at 7:19
  • Do you actually have any reason to go back? Only as you've described it, you sound like quite a high risk case for just staying... So you're likely going to need to work hard to prove otherwise!
    – Gagravarr
    May 1, 2013 at 8:55
  • If you are single, do not have a lot of savings or dont have a high income, do not have sufficient family ties (and only God knows how various embassies judge that), and if you are not going with the sole purpose of tourism, I can almost bet, you ain't getting that visa. May 1, 2013 at 13:54
  • You can not . Options : 1- Do you have any listed assets ? ( car, house, monetary ? ) 2 . Get another contract for the period when you are back. 3. Or a letter from some company saying that you have a secure job when returning. ( ask a friend that runs a company .. ). And Don't mention the boyfriend , it will put you in High risk. Just say a colleague or a friend . Apr 17, 2016 at 11:22

1 Answer 1


Here's the full rules:

The mission must ensure that the following requirements have been met in each individual case:

  1. The purpose of the trip to Germany must be plausible and comprehensible.
  2. The applicant must be in a position to finance his/her living and travel costs from his/her own funds or income.
  3. The visa holder must be prepared to leave the Schengen area before the visa expires.
  4. Documentary evidence must be provided of travel health insurance with a minimum coverage of 30,000 euro valid for the entire Schengen area.

Should an applicant be unable to prove that he/she can finance the journey and stay from his/her own funds, a third person may undertake to cover all costs associated with the trip in accordance with sections 66 and 68 of the Residence Act.

For 1, a written invitation from your boyfriend and proof of his residency status should be sufficient. I'll assume that 2 and 4 are straightforward as well. That leaves 3 as the main hurdle. According to this website, embassies will typically require proof of family ties and sufficient income.

The best option I can think of would be to already secure a job (i.e. employment contract) for the time after your return from Germany.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .