I'm an EU citizen. I entered Finland by foot during covid-related border controls. It was a city where one half is Finnish and the other half is Swedish. Border control took me to the station for a search, then sent me back to Sweden with some paper. They said it was just a warning and next time I will be fined. They didn't take my fingerprints or a picture of me.

After two months I entered Finland again with an invitation letter from my boyfriend and they let me in the country with a brief questioning. Was I deported the first time or was I just refused entry to the country? Is this info in my passport? Could I be denied an f1 because of this?

  • 3
    It's going to depend on the exact wording of the question you are trying to answer. Commented Oct 24, 2021 at 11:08
  • 2
    To me it sounds more like i was refused the entry
    – Karca123
    Commented Oct 24, 2021 at 12:03
  • 4
    what does the papers you were given say ?
    – Max
    Commented Oct 24, 2021 at 12:31
  • 2
    I dont know. It was in finnish which I dont speak. I dont even have it anymore.
    – Karca123
    Commented Oct 24, 2021 at 12:59
  • 3
    @Karca123 Since the border guards threatened with a fine next time, it sounds to me as if you were caught after having entered Finland illegally and not just merely been refused entry. Without the paperwork, which you don't have anymore, it is difficult to say. You can contact Finnish authorities though and request a copy of your record. Commented Oct 25, 2021 at 9:25

1 Answer 1


Your best bet is to send a Subject Access Request to the Finnish border authority, asking for a copy of your record. You are entitled to this information under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). You should provide

  1. Your name on the passport, and date of birth
  2. Passport number, and your nationality
  3. Its start and end dates
  4. The dates and locations of the two incidents

The contact addresses are here https://raja.fi/en/contact-information

They should send a copy of the letter you were given during the first incident, and if there are any issues with you re-entering again. Legally, you can use any EU language in your request, but Finnish, English, or Swedish will be your best bet.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .