I was married in 1997 in New Jersey for maybe a week when I found out my husband and his kind family were only using me to obtain a green card. Therefore, I went back to California and left him. I tried to have all my documents in my maiden name from dmv but was informed that my married name is now my legal name. 20 years later, I need my marriage certificate and New Jersey send me an official sealed letter informing me they can not locate my records. Now what do I do? I gave them all the information I could remember.

  • 5
    I’m voting to close this question because it is not about Travel, not even a bit. Aug 21 at 1:51
  • 6
    @NeanDerThal this question is about Byzantine bureaucratic requirements for a particular type of driver's license the main benefit of which for most people is that it may be used at airport security checkpoints in the United States. So it is certainly about travel, maybe even more than a little bit.
    – phoog
    Aug 21 at 2:59
  • 5
    This should be on law.stackexchange.com or reddit.com/r/legaladvice.
    – chx
    Aug 21 at 8:06
  • 6
    Was the marriage legally ended (by divorce or annulment)? If not, real id is only one of many problems and you need a lawyer.
    – krubo
    Aug 21 at 9:54
  • 3
    Did you get a legal divorce or annulment? If not, you should speak to a lawyer about getting that done. If you are currently a California resident you can probably get divorced right there in California, but you need a lawyer to make sure everything is right. Aug 21 at 11:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.