We are renting a car to go on holiday. As we will be driving about 3500km total, large parts of it in one go, we would like it to be somewhat quiet(1) inside. Rental companies offer a specific size of car, but not a specific car. So we don't know what car we have until we pick it up.
What makes things more complicated is the organisation of rentals, for example last year we:
- rented a car through ANWB (a 'tourist' organisation)
- via Hertz (large rental company)
- handled by a local car-rental garage (so not Hertz itself).
And to make it more complicated, when we called Hertz, we could not rent directly through them because they had no more cars left for that period. So somehow they found more cars, through some other supplier.
In other words, there are maybe 4 different companies involved in the renting of 1 car. So who can I call to ask for a quiet car?
Note1 If you never drove on the highway in a car that has poor sound insulation, you may not understand the question. But it it really tiresome to spend 8 hours surrounded by noise. We have a small son who is affected by this even more. An hour in our Fiat Panda is doable, but 8 hours would be too much.
Two reasons to go with ANWB and not rent directly:
- Herz was 'out of cars', one other big name we tried botched the retal deal. ANWB renting process is smooth.
- The deal is much better (second driver is free) and the info in their website is clear and up-to-date.
Concerning getting a bigger car, last year we got a station wagon. A really nice spacious Toyota Corolla Hybrid, which turned out to be only slightly less noisy than the Panda. But on the upside required about the same amount of fuel per km.