I am UK citizen and I have a girlfriend who is Nigerian visiting me in the UK. Can I apply for visa extension as a partner for her. Not ready to marry

1 Answer 1


There is no route to extend a visitor visa beyond the standard 6 months unless the visa holder is:

  • a patient receiving medical treatment

  • an academic and you still meet the eligibility requirements

  • a graduate doing a clinical attachment or retaking the Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) test

Source: https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa/extend-your-stay

Even giving notice of intention to marry https://www.gov.uk/marriages-civil-partnerships, and assuming the Home Office approved the request, would not mean that your girlfriend’s visit visa would be extended beyond the original 6 months.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .