I get a récépissé while waiting for my France carte de séjour. I also have Italian permesso di soggiorno that's valid until 03/08/2021. Is it possible to enter France from an Asian country with permesso di soggiorno that's nearly expired? I will arrive in France on 02/08/2021, one day before my permesso di soggiorno expires.

1 Answer 1


Edit based on the comment: I'm assuming that you requested your titre de séjour outside of France (from Italy or the Asian country you are currently in), so you'll be travelling into France for residence purposes and not returning to it after a period of absence

Your récépissé should allow you to enter France on its own as long as it is valid

Le récépissé est un document attestant du dépôt de votre demande de titre de séjour à la préfecture (ou sous-préfecture) de votre domicile. Il vous autorise à séjourner en France pour la durée qu'il précise.

Source: https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F15763

  • 1
    (-1) That's not what the quoted text says, it merely says that a récépissé allows you to stay in France. In fact, a récépissé for the first application (as opposed to a renewal) explicitely does not allow you to leave and reenter, you need a visa de retour for that. Thus the OP would not rely on the récépissé but on the permesso di soggiorno. The question here is whether there is a risk that having left the territory would have an effect on the application or an issue related to the looming expiration of the Italian perrmit.
    – Relaxed
    Jul 2, 2021 at 13:00
  • @Relaxed That's a good point - I'm assuming that OP lived in Italy, went to Asia temporarily and then applied for residence in France Jul 2, 2021 at 13:03
  • That sounds about right but either way the récépissé doesn't help.
    – Relaxed
    Jul 2, 2021 at 13:49
  • @Relaxed thank you very much. You got my point clearly. This is the one that I am afraid. If I am possible to leave France territory and re enter France using the permesso di soggiorno (Italy permit). I don't find a clear explanation about this in the government website. Thanks for help. So I am still not getting the direct answer for my question. Thanks to anyone who gave comments:) Jul 3, 2021 at 21:19

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .