I am an US citizen and planning to go to France for a year for tourism/personal reasons. I expect to be issued a long-stay visa (VLS-TS or perhaps VLS-T, not sure how they determine this). My question is, if I want to go home (to the US) for, say, a week during Christmastime, would I normally be allowed back into France? Similarly, if I wish to visit the UK for a weekend, would I be able to return to France with the default long-stay visa?

  • I think what you're looking for is either a Double-entry Schengen Visa, or a Multiple-entry Schengen Visa. Those would allow you to go outside the Schengen Area, and come back (either once, with the Double-entry, or multiple times)
    – Mr_Bober
    Jun 25 at 20:52
  • 1
    Yes, D visa is generally multi-entry... But tourism is usually not a sufficient reason to have a long-stay visa.
    – xngtng
    Jun 25 at 21:45
  • 1
  • Thank you all! I am actually doing a mix of tourism and volunteering, but the French visa wizard says I would have to agree "to leave the French territory at the end of the volunteer contract," when I would want to stay for an additional few months for tourism, which is why I am applying for a tourist visa instead.
    – Cindy
    Jun 27 at 1:07
  • The information I find on welcometofrance.com seems to indicate that the visa is either equivalent to a temporary residence permit, or allows you to obtain one. With a residence permit you can leave the country and return, as long as you do not stay abroad for too long. Jun 27 at 9:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.