I would like to have clarification on the following case. A person of Moroccan nationality with a residence permit (private and family life) who travels by plane to France but has a stopover in London, more precisely at the airport of stansted . The stopover lasts less than 4 hours. The question is whether this person would need a visa. If so, which one?

On this link https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/morocco/transit/somewhere_else/yes , there are indications on this case but it is not clear. I have the impression that the visa is not mandatory but I would like to have your opinion.

  • Stopover going where? Jun 22, 2021 at 9:23
  • @MarkJohnson To go back to France
    – curiosus
    Jun 22, 2021 at 9:34
  • Two conditions noted in the linked site are "have a common format residence permit issued by an European Economic Area (EEA) country" or "have a uniform format category D visa for entry to a country in the EEA". It also says "You won’t be able to transit without a visa if a Border Force officer decides you don’t qualify under the immigration rules. You can apply for a transit visa before you travel if you’re unsure whether you qualify for transiting without a visa." Jun 22, 2021 at 10:21
  • 3
    ...and Stansted Airport says Connecting Flights If you arrive at London Stansted on an international flight you will need to pass through passport control/immigration, whether your connecting flight is domestic or international. You will therefore need the correct documentation for entry into Britain. Jun 22, 2021 at 11:19
  • 1
    That should be added to the question. Transit is normally passing through a 2nd country to travel on to a 3rd country. If the goal of the 4 hours in the UK is to do something else that travelling on, then probably a standard visa will be required Jun 22, 2021 at 11:24


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy