I live in the US and have a green card. I want to take a 1 week holiday trip to Mexico in May 2021, but my foreign passport will expire in August 2021.

Will I be able to reenter the US with no issues?

In general, the US requires the passport to be valid for at least 6 months, but I don't know if that applies to permanent residents or only visitors.

1 Answer 1


Will I be able to reenter the US with no issues?

Yes. You can even re-enter the US with an expired passport or no passport at all. You only need your green card:

Lawful permanent residents of the U.S. need to show a Permanent Resident Card (Green card). A passport is not required.

(This does not apply if you're outside the US for more than one year, but that's beyond the scope of this question.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.