Does 12000 euro as cash make any problem for entering Europe? I want to leave Turkey to go to Amsterdam as a transit for 1 and a half hours and then to Poland. I have a bank statement.

  • 9
    You must declare all sums €10.000 and above when entering the European Union (Amsterdam). The customs officials will give you a statement stating that it has been declared that will also be valid in Poland. May 6, 2021 at 21:32
  • 6
    Some countries require travelers to declare holding large amounts of cash when they leave the country. If Turkey has that requirement, you'd also have to declare it before leaving. May 6, 2021 at 22:42
  • 2
    @Turkan You must do it when you enter the European Union, which in your case is Amsterdam. Note: this is a requirement, so if there no customs control (as someone claimed here recently) after the passport control, you must report to a customs office inside the airport. May 7, 2021 at 10:29
  • 1
    Yes, you must do this when you enter the European Union (not at your destination point in the European Union). See Filing a declaration of liquid assets. You can download the needed form from that page now, fill it out and report to the customs (red channel) and give them the prepaired form. May 7, 2021 at 12:46
  • 1
    Note also that Turkey has been added to the french red list yesterday, so it's likely it has been or will shortly be added to the red lists of other EU countries. This could severely affect your travel plans.
    – jcaron
    May 7, 2021 at 22:26

2 Answers 2


You need to file a declaration in Amsterdam. Relevant example from belastingdienst.nl

Example: flight from Tokyo to Paris via Amsterdam

You are flying from Tokyo (Japan) to Paris (France) via Amsterdam (the Netherlands). You arrive in the European Union in the Netherlands.

  • If you leave the flight in Amsterdam (the Netherlands) (transfer), you will have to file the declaration in Amsterdam (the Netherlands). You can use a copy of your declaration to demonstrate in Paris (France) that you have filed a declaration in Amsterdam (the Netherlands) for the liquid assets.
  • If you do not leave the flight in Amsterdam (the Netherlands) (no transfer), you will have to file the declaration in Paris (France).

The question that remain is how to do it at Schiphol airport. One option is to leave airside to get to customs and then enter through security again. You could look and ask for other options though.


You must declare that you carry more than €10.000 once you pass Customs. This is likely to happen in Poland.

Netherlands and Poland are in the Schengen Area, so you enter the EU when you first land in Amsterdam.

You have two options to reach Poland then: either by car/train/bus, leaving the airport, or by transiting into the domestic flights area. I understand the second.

Unlike Turkey, almost all Schengen airports do not have separate terminals. In Turkey, for example, you will have to go x-ray controls once again to board a domestic flight coming from outside. In Schengen, you first go Immigration, where you are only asked about your passport, and then you will have the option to either go to Baggage claim (through a no-way-back door) and exit, or remain in the Schengen departure area.

Once you land in Poland, you will finally go to the exit and there you will find Customs. You must go to the red lane yourself, or face the risk someone stopping you and confiscating the money.

If you need to collect baggage in AMS, e.g. because you are not allowed check-through, then you must go through Customs in AMS, but then you will have to make sure that your check-in bags are labeled again with a green label grant free access to the Blue Lane of Poland's Customs office.


Please note!

  • It does not matter how you enter or leave the EU (examples: airplane, car, motorcycle, ship, bicycle, on foot).
  • It makes no difference how you carry the liquid assets, e.g. as hand baggage, hold baggage or in the car boot.
  • You must also file a declaration if you are not the owner of the liquid assets.
  • You must file a declaration each time that you enter or leave the EU.
  • You file a declaration in the country where you enter or leave the EU.
  • You do not need to file a declaration if you do not leave the flight or ship on which you enter the EU.

On arrival in the Netherlands from a non-EU country
File your declaration by reporting to Customs in the so-called 'red channel' (goods to declare). Inform Customs that you wish to declare liquid assets.

  • 1
    @Willeke I think you only declare what you have with you (so not checked in luggage) when you stay airside on transfer. So if you carry 9500 euros with you and put the remainder in luggage, I think you won't have to declare at the transit airport (because you haven't reached 10K yet). Then in Poland, you do need to declare because the total of undeclared cash adds up beyond 10K. Source (see very end)
    – JJJ
    May 7, 2021 at 20:00
  • 3
    This answer is misleading. It is correct that your hold luggage will be processed at the destination point. But as a person (including hand luggage) you will processed at the point of entry. Quote from the Dutch customs page: It makes no difference how you carry the liquid assets, e.g. as hand baggage, hold baggage or in the car boot. In case of a violation: you risk facing a minimum fine of € 1,000 and a maximum fine of € 20,250 or a term of imprisonment. May 7, 2021 at 20:07
  • 1
    @JJJ That is not correct. Liquid assets contained in the hold baggage must also be declared at the point of entry. Poland may then will ask you to present the declaration of liquid assets form (which you won't have based on your assumption). May 7, 2021 at 20:36
  • 2
    @JJJ You are not in transit. You are entering the EU and are flying to another destination within the Schengen Area. May 7, 2021 at 21:08
  • 2
    @Willeke Schengen and EU are different areas. A customs officer at the passport control won't help passengers from for example Norway (in Schengen but not in EU)
    – Anders
    May 7, 2021 at 21:13

You must log in to answer this question.