The passport which has my u.s visa expired recently (I got a new passport). However, the old passport bio page is now partially damaged (bottom part with the signature and Expiry & issuse date tore out). The visa is intact with absolutely no damage. Do I need to apply for a new visa in my new passport???


You do not need to apply for a new visa. Make sure to take the old passport (with the visa) with you when you come to the US.

Source: US State Department, which says on this page:

Unless canceled or revoked, a visa is valid until its expiration date. Therefore, a valid U.S. visa in an expired passport is still valid. If you have a valid visa in your expired passport, do not remove it from your expired passport. You may use your valid visa in your expired passport along with a new valid passport for travel and admission to the United States.

The Answers to this Travel.SE question add that the two passports must have been issued by the same country, and must be of the same type.

  • I am so scared. I dont want any trouble with cbp when I arrive. The thing is, there is no answer to question on the Official U.S embassy-Guyana page. I called them today but they were not able to give me a proper response. I wad given an email address, so i sent an email and got a generic reply. NO HELP whatsoever. I need to be sure on the way forward since I have a U.S trip coming up soon.
    – TiNiYo
    May 4 at 17:11
  • @TiNiYo I added supporting citations to the Answer. May 4 at 18:17
  • I have personally done this exact thing. I had a visa in an old passport, which was expired and in my country of citizenship, they invalidate it by punching a hole in it as well. I had that with me with the still valid visa, and my new passport, with no problems. I realize this is only a sample size of 1, but maybe it helps you be more comfortable with the trip. May 4 at 20:55
  • That's good. I read that a few people had no problem after their visa had punch holes... but i think my case is alittle more complex. The bio-data page (photo page) is partially damaged, like literally tore out. 1/4 of the page is missing. My photo, date of birth and passport number is still intact tho'. No damage to the visa. So there lies the confusion
    – TiNiYo
    May 4 at 23:44
  • @TiNiYo Most countries do that for a passport renewal. I've ended the US a dozen or more times with a via in a passport "damaged" in the same way you describe (and obviously with a replacement/valid passport without a visa in it)
    – Doc
    Jun 3 at 23:34

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.