I’m going to renew my Permesso di soggiorno this April and I wanted it to be valid for traveling around Europe, for now I have Permesso di Soggiorno (Attesa Occupazione).

  • This question has received votes to close and move to the Expatriates site. I disagree: the documents OP asks about are issued for long-term residency, the question is not about long-term residency but about OP's right to travel with said documents.
    – Chris H
    Commented Mar 31, 2021 at 13:21

1 Answer 1


I assume since you have a residence permit that you are a non-EU citizen.

From the Europa website on "Travel documents for non-EU nationals", it says:

Travel documents for non-EU nationals

Passport and visa requirements

If you are a non-EU national wishing to visit or travel within the EU, you will need a passport:

  • valid for at least 3 months after the date you intend to leave the EU country you are visiting,
  • which was issued within the previous 10 years,

and possibly a visa. You should apply for a visa from the consulate or embassy of the country you are visiting. If your visa is from a Schengen area country, it automatically allows you to travel to the other Schengen countries as well. If you have a valid residence permit from one of those Schengen countries, it is equivalent to a visa. You may need a national visa to visit non-Schengen countries.

So since you have a residence permit from Italy (Schengen country), it should be valid to travel to other Schengen countries so long as you also carry your passport.

Note that, as mentioned above, not all European countries are a member of the Schengen area, so visa requirements would be different for non-Schengen countries, (but since you've tagged the question as 'schengen' I presume you know this :) )

  • so it doesn’t matter what type/kind of residence permit i have? i would still be able to visit other Schengen countries. Commented Mar 30, 2021 at 13:03
  • 1
    The three-month passport validity rule seems to apply only to non-residents when they cross an external border.
    – phoog
    Commented Mar 30, 2021 at 13:38

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .