I know this question is very common and I know mostly the answer is a hard NO. But I think my case is special in a way. I would like to come to the USA to do handyman work basically. Therefore I will not be taking away any jobs from US citizens, and I will not be paid from a employer but from my own clients that I find. Handyman isn't required to have any kind of certification in California, only think he needs to follow is that no job can be more then 500$ which that isn't a problem for what I have in mind. And he/she needs to pay taxes which I was thinking to apply for ITIN to pay my taxes, I have got friend in the US who could help me with that. So I guess the question is can I be self-employed handyman in the USA on B1/B2 visa ? I apreciace all answers thank you.

  • 9
    How would this not take jobs away from american citizens? How is this special? In short: The answer is a hard no - also in your case. B1 is a visitor visa, and does not allow you to settle and work in the USA. – vidarlo Mar 13 at 15:04
  • Technically I'm not sure this is a duplicate, as the other answer does not explicitly state the self-employment is illegal. The answer is still a hard NO of course. – DJClayworth Mar 14 at 18:15

When you are self-employed, you are both the employer and the employee. Since it is illegal for an employer to employ someone for work in the US who doesn't have work authorization, I think it follows that it is illegal for you (as the employer) to employ yourself (as an employee) for work in the US if you don't have work authorization.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.