I live in the UK as a British citizen. My girlfriend lives in Switzerland (not as a Swiss citizen.) She has a UK visitor visa that was issued 13/11/2019 and expires 13/11/2021. Can she come here to marry me? Someone told me if she has a visitor visa more than 6 months she can come and get married.


Entering as a visitor with the intention of getting married in the UK is not permitted under the Immigration Rules. https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa

Foreign nationals who do not have a marriage visitor visa or family visa can still give notice of intention to get married or form a civil partnership but the immigration authorities at the Home Office will be told.

The Home Office might:

  • ask questions about you and your relationship - if this happens you may need to wait up to 70 days before getting married or forming a civil partnership

  • decide not to approve your notice - if this happens you cannot get married or form a civil partnership in the UK

Source: https://www.gov.uk/marriages-civil-partnerships

Note: this answer assumes your girlfriend would not be moving to live permanently in the UK after your marriage.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.