I have my Philippine passport that will expire this July (2021) and I'm still waiting for my Permesso di Soggiorno to be released anytime sooner.

  • It is not yet July 2021, you have time to renew the passport before it expires. Or do you intent to travel before July 2021 and are you worried about traveling with less than 3 or 6 months left on your passport?
    – Willeke
    Feb 6, 2021 at 16:29
  • @Willeke i dont think i can renew my passport this year because when i checked the embassy in Rome online and tried to book an appointment, i found that all months are booked til December, so i don't think that there's a posssiblity for me to renew it on time Feb 6, 2021 at 17:06
  • @Willeke so im just like hoping and looking for answers, if i can travel outside Italy like i mentioned Spain with expired passport but only with Permesso di Soggiorno and Carta D'identitá Italiana Feb 6, 2021 at 17:08
  • @Willeke don't intent to travel before July 2021 but anytime this year also im worried if there will be some troubles or problems if I tried to travel with the specific documents I have at the moment Feb 6, 2021 at 17:12

1 Answer 1


Please remember, Carta D’identità is (more or less) a symbolic ID card and you can’t travel with it or use it as an ID outside Italy (this should also be stated on the back of the card).

Furthermore, according to the rules, as a non-EU you always need to carry a valid passport. Even though, documents are not frequently checked between Schengen flights, you should always have it on you or if not you must have a valid justification or replacement.

One solution, as suggested by @Willeke is to contact the embassy and request for an emergency paperwork.

  • 2
    To make the point stronger, if you do not have a passport, or papers from your embassy, do not travel outside the country you are a resident. Your Italian card is no replacement for a passport. Not being checked is no excuse.
    – Willeke
    Feb 7, 2021 at 11:02
  • 1
    Nitpick: in Spain, the Italian ID card is accepted by the Guardia Civil database that we were required to update when checking in guests to hostels and other lodging.
    – WGroleau
    Feb 7, 2021 at 16:52
  • @WGroleau I think, it could be fine just to show your name or something in that range but officially it doesn't have much power (so, it can't be used in the airports). And to be clear, this is the ID that is issued to non-EU citizens. As an Italian, you can use your Carta D’identità as an official ID.
    – hatef
    Feb 8, 2021 at 9:32
  • @WGroleau: An ID card is acceptable for travel in the EU if you are a EU, EEA or CH citizen. If you are not you will need to carry your passport. Feb 8, 2021 at 12:15
  • OK, it wasn’t clear that a non-citizen card was meant. Spain also accepts the Spanish non-citizen’s NIE for the lodging DB and all sorts of other things, but I never tried to use mine at an airport.
    – WGroleau
    Feb 8, 2021 at 15:29

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.