I'm looking at the feasibility of a trip from the US to Germany (Bavaria) for extremely important reasons. I've been pulling my hair out researching rules & regulations mostly going around in circular links from one government website to the next.
I think I have some idea how this could work, but I'm not entirely sure so I would very much appreciate comments, feedbacks or double checks from anyone who has recently researched or done this as well.
Here is what I have found:
- As a German citizen (I'm dual), I can always enter the country even if I arrive from a "high incidence area" as the US has been classified by the Robert Koch Institut.
- I need to provide a negative covid test that's less than 48 hours old to the airline before I'm allowed to board. The timing here is super tricky, and what I don't know:
- What's the exact reference time for the 48 hours. Scheduled departure, scheduled arrival, actual wheels down, time when you show up at the control, something else ?
- I also don't know when they check this: boarding of the first leg or boarding of the Germany bound leg?
- According to https://www.gesetze-bayern.de/Content/Document/BayEQV/true I think I can be exempted from quarantine if there is an unavoidable business reason and you are in the country for less than 5 days. The "unavoidability" (zwingende Notwendigkeit) needs to be certified by the employer/client.
- Is there some sort of template for this certification?
- Can this be issued by an American client? Does it need to be in German?
- Does the German business partner also have to provide something?
- when does that certificate needs to be there and who gets it ? When and where is it checked?
- I will need some permits and notifications. But I'm not sure about the timeline of these either
- I will have to fill out this https://www.einreiseanmeldung.de/#/ before travelling. Do they need a few days or can I just do it after I have my negative Covid test in hand (which will be VERY close to departure).
- I think I also have to notify the local health authority (Gesundheitsamt) but I don't know how, when and what about? Do you just write them an e-mail: "Hey guys, I'm here"?
I tried to contact the local Gesundheitamt with all of these question but unsurprisingly haven't received a reply yet and time is running out. So I would appreciate any input and feedback.