I am 13. I have an arranged place to stay in germany for 1 year. I know german pretty well and intend to go to school there.I have US as well as German passports. What paperwork do I need to fill out?

  • 1
    You should check out what the requirements of the airline you’ll be flying with eg aa.com/i18n/travel-info/special-assistance/… – Traveller Jan 3 at 16:40
  • 1
    You shouldn't post too much personal information here, but: is that place with relatives of your family? Do they have children approximately your age? That would make things a lot more realistic. – o.m. Jan 3 at 17:01

You write that you are 13 and that you have arranged a place. Under German law, your legal guardians have the right and duty to supervise your location in accordance with your age and maturity. They don't have to watch a 13-year-old every minute, but they do have to know and agree with your plan.

  • As a German citizen, you need no visa. You do need a written permission from your guardians stating your identity, their identity and contact information, a copy of their identity documents, your itinerary and destination, the identity of any adults you're traveling with.
  • Usually, something like this is arranged with a student exchange program, but that is not strictly necessary. Your guardians could arrange for your stay with other responsible adults.
  • The host family will need to register your residence with the municipal authorities.
  • You will probably be required to go to school. That will follow when you register your residence.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.