I haven't seen a concise list of requirements as to what I need to have in order for me to drive my UK registered car in Europe after Brexit. (after 31st Dec 2020)

I know how strict eg. the german TUV is, compared to what is required for an MOT in the UK - I believe until the UK was still part of the EU, as long as a foreign car had a valid technical / mechanical approval (MOT), it was accepted as safe to drive on any road (with the exception of the ominous stickers on the headlights, not to blind the oncoming traffic - left hand drive vs right hand drive)

Edit: this is about using the car for a one-off recreational return trip - max 1-2 weeks

  • 2
    I think you are being overly optimistic in assuming that things have been decided and regulated.
    – RedSonja
    Commented Dec 17, 2020 at 14:34
  • Are you asking about driving it for a short while, during a visit? Or a long while, because you are living there? The question about the TUV makes me think you are living there, in which case the Expatriates site is a better fit. Commented Dec 17, 2020 at 14:47
  • @DJClayworth short trip, max 1-2 weeks, will update in main
    – PeterM
    Commented Dec 17, 2020 at 15:17
  • Remember that at this time, from January 1st, most people from the UK won’t be allowed into the EU, like all people from countries with high SARS-Cov-2 prevalence outside of the EU. There is currently no date for when this will end and currently no planned exception for the UK (unless I missed something).
    – jcaron
    Commented Dec 17, 2020 at 15:22
  • Even before the UK joined the EU cars were allowed to make short visits with the only issue being the headlamp blackers. Commented Dec 17, 2020 at 15:31

1 Answer 1


You will need a GB sticker on your car if you don't have the Euro symbol on your plates. From www.gov.uk:

You’ll still need a GB sticker when travelling in Europe if you display one of these national flags and identifiers.

The flag must be above the identifier. You cannot have the flag or letters on the number plate margin, and neither can be more than 50 millimetres wide. Euro symbol

If you display the Euro symbol and Great Britain (GB) national identifier on your number plate, then you will not need a separate GB sticker when travelling within the European Union.

The Euro symbol must:

  • be a minimum height of 98mm
  • have a width between 40 and 50mm
  • have a reflective blue background with 12 reflecting yellow stars at the top
  • show the member state (GB) in reflecting white or yellow
  • You may wish to have a sticker anyway, just to be completely safe, in case you decide to drive outside the EU. Commented Dec 18, 2020 at 1:00

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .