I have a Spanish registered car in Spain. However I still have an old style British driving license do I need to get an International one when I am driving there?

  • 1
    Joseph do you live in Spain or do you live elsewhere and only visit at times?
    – Willeke
    Commented Dec 10, 2020 at 16:49
  • Rolled back as the question was changed too much. The question is about the driving license, not about whether OP can have a car or not.
    – Willeke
    Commented Dec 10, 2020 at 19:20

1 Answer 1


It is not at all clear what is meant by a old style British driving license.

This answer assumes an EU style is meant. Any of the older versions (like the Red Book style) would probably not be accepted.

It is also not clear if you will be visiting or if you are a Spanish resident.

Important is only if, based on your status, you are allowed to drive (and not where the car is registered).

If you are a UK resident (i.e. visiting Spain):

  • you will not need an international driving permit (IDP)

If you are a Spanish resident

  • you will be required to exchange your UK licence

You should make this application during 2020 to avoid having to take Spanish drivers test.

This can be done electronicly (see Step 1 and 2 in 'Driving in Spain'). The process must be completed by the end of June 2021.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .