I'm turning 18 in January and I was born in Japan. My mom is Filipino and my dad is Japanese. My mom brought me to the Philippines when I was 3 and I've been here for 14 years. I have a Japanese passport, but it has expired. I don't have a birth certificate here in the Philippines. My father wants to bring me back to Japan; how could the process go?

  • 1
    By 'go to' do you mean to visit Japan, or to move there? – Uciebila Oct 30 '20 at 14:02
  • 1
    oh to move there – nini Oct 30 '20 at 14:57
  • 1
    I hope your Japanese is as good as your English! – James K Oct 30 '20 at 21:48
  • 8
    I don't mean it harshly! In some countries you can get by with English. But not in Japan. It is hard to be gaijin in Japan, and harder if you can't communicate well. But of course, as a Japanese citizen, the OP can't be deported as a non-citizen could. – James K Oct 30 '20 at 23:29
  • 5
    Yes, i do know how to speak in japanese since that's the language i use since then when communicating with my father also i take japanese classes online 😅 – nini Oct 31 '20 at 5:27

Citizenship of the Philippines is acquired by jus sanguinis ("by blood"), so the fact that your mother is Filipino automatically gives you citizenship of the Philippines (given your date of birth — rules have changed over time).

Citizenship of Japan is also acquired by jus sanguinis, though with a few additional conditions for people born abroad, which is not your case. Since your father is Japanese, so are you (for now, see below). The fact that you previously had a Japanese passport seems to confirm this.

So, at this time, you are indeed apparently a dual citizen of Japan and the Philippines.

According to the consular affairs section of the Embassy of Japan in the Philippines:

You probably want to get in touch with them if you have any questions. You'll need to make an appointment anyway given the current situation with the Covid-19 pandemic.

  • 3
    @nini If you are a citizen of the Philippines, you are not overstaying. – CGCampbell Oct 30 '20 at 14:41
  • 10
    @nini You can't overstay in a country you are citizen of. You have the right to live there. – Midavalo Oct 30 '20 at 15:10
  • 4
    If your mother is indeed Filipino (or more accurately, if she was Filipino at the time of your birth), then you a citizen of the Philippines and you can't overstay in the Philippines. There are some instances of countries where a woman getting married automatically gets her husband's nationality and possibly loses the original one, not sure if any of that applies here. – jcaron Oct 30 '20 at 15:13
  • 11
    In terms of overstay: If you are a citizen of the Philippines, it is impossible for you to be an overstayer in the Philippines. Do you have a Filipino passport? When you entered the Philippines 14 years ago, do you know if it was on your Japanese passport or a Filipino one? It's likely that you are a Filipino citizen, however, if this has never been registered anywhere, there may be headaches and paperwork caused by simply attempting to leave on a Japanese passport that was last used when you entered the Philippines 14 years ago! Make sure you have passports for both when leaving for Japan. – Richard Oct 30 '20 at 17:44
  • 4
    Might want to change "current situation" to "current COVID-19 pandemic situation". SE is designed to encourage answers to linger on the site for years and years, good questions eventually become Google top hits or even Google on-page answers; and 9 years hence, someone will wonder "what does 'current situation' mean? – Harper - Reinstate Monica Oct 31 '20 at 15:30

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.