I'm confused about the rights of non-EU residents living in Switzerland. Due to the pandemic Swiss residence permits are taking much long to process than they ever would have in the past. In lieu of issuing a residence permit a residence attestation may be attained.

Can entry of Schengen area be permitted with a residence attestation for a non-EU national?


No, you will not even be allowed to enter (at least not straightforwardly) Switzerland with a residence attestation.

If your long-stay D visa is still valid, you may enter Switzerland or other Schengen countries with that (assuming multi-entry).

Otherwise you need to ask for a return visa (visa de retour / Rückreisevisa) from your cantonal authority.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.