Knowing that you can travel to Russia if you are a "resident of Switzerland", is the L permit enough to be considered resident?

It really is not obvious to understand what constitutes a residency, and maybe not all permits grant the same international status.

  • 2
    This question is about COVID and not about passport/visa, right? Oct 14, 2020 at 15:24
  • Who allows you to travel to Russia if you are a "resident of Switzerland". Is this a Russian visa application requirement?? Permit L – is a short-term residence permit that allows you to stay in Switzerland for up to one year. The L permit is tied to the terms of the employment contract and may be extended in exceptional cases for a further year but no more if you continue to work for the same employer. Oct 14, 2020 at 15:25
  • If this only about covid, then the goal is to determine where you have been in the last few months. Then you will probably be considered a resident, since you have been residing there durring the last few months. Oct 14, 2020 at 15:33
  • 1
    @asiegf According to the embassy webpage yes. Writing an answer
    – Crazydre
    Oct 14, 2020 at 15:51
  • 1
    @asiegf If they want only proof of residence, then they will probably accept the Permit B, C and L (described in the given link) as proof. Oct 14, 2020 at 19:20

1 Answer 1


Assuming you need a Russian visa, this is in practice up to the Russian embassy. With a valid visa you're unlikely to be sent back.

Per the website of the Russian embassy in Berne (LINK):

...nimmt die Konsularabteilung der Russischen Botschaft in der Schweiz die Ausstellung von Visa an ausländische Staatsbürger und Staatenlose mit ständigem Wohnsitz in der Schweiz wieder auf, welche über das entsprechende Dokument der zuständigen Schweizer Behörden (Genehmigung der Kategorien B, C, L) verfügen.

As such, an L permit is enough.

Furthermore you'll need a negative PCR test issued max 72 hours before arrival, and must arrive on a direct flight from Switzerland.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .