The way things are going it seems that my bail is just going to be endlessly extended as coronavirus measures are becoming more and more intense.

Without receiving leave to remain or a visa which I may be ineligible for, would it be possible to request from the home office permission to study a university course while here on immigration bail?

I have only been able to find in my online searches materials regarding children studying primary and secondary school, and basic English language classes for non native English speakers.

If so, then how does one go about submitting such a request?

  • 1
    What is the reason why you're unable to return home? I presume this would decide whether or not such a request might be granted. – JonathanReez Sep 19 '20 at 21:24
  • 2
    The answer to this question would probably involve a query around finances, which would be difficult - if allowed, you would probably be required to pay the full international student rate, which is a lot for a normal university in the UK (tens of thousands per term) which then leads to the question about how you are supporting yourself - you would have to prove independent wealth with no employment in the UK. – Moo Sep 19 '20 at 22:03
  • @Moo How would one go about understanding the process for requesting this and submitting the request? – Joseph P. Sep 20 '20 at 8:35
  • 5
    "I do not wish to travel [back to my country]" means nothing to IOs. One of their functions is to remove people who really do not wish to travel back to their countries. – SJuan76 Sep 20 '20 at 9:23
  • 4
    @Joseph P. The conditions stated in your immigration bail will determine what you are allowed to do. gov.uk/bail-immigration-detainees/conditions-of-your-bail What do they say regarding studies? – Traveller Sep 21 '20 at 7:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.