The American prongs come off, and I assume this means I can buy a British version. Where would I find such a thing? What’s it called? Any advice is welcome thank youenter image description here

  • 14
    In theory yes, in practice, these sort of things aren't normally widely available to consumers. Normally the original product either comes with the whole set (which people then bin what they don't need) or the manufacture bags up the requisite connector for each region. You may find it easier just to put a new power supply with matching characteristics (12 V 2A) and connector. – CMaster Sep 16 '20 at 16:02
  • 4
    Looks like the power supply was made to accept different plugs, so perhaps there is (or was) a plug adapter for UK use. You might contact Audio-Technica in the US and ask them. See: audio-technica.com/en-us/contact – DavidSupportsMonica Sep 16 '20 at 16:04
  • 12
    Since the adapter itself would handle a UK input voltage (240V) you could also use a UK visitor travel adapter plug (like this) – motosubatsu Sep 16 '20 at 16:47
  • 2
    @motosubatsu that's an answer, i think – mlc Sep 16 '20 at 17:27
  • 5
    If you want a UK-compatible adaptor, you can contact them in the UK. audio-technica.com/en-gb/contact – alephzero Sep 17 '20 at 0:44

Unfortunately the removable prongs are specific to this adapter. They're not the same as the removable prongs on a different adapter. So good luck finding the right ones. Perhaps there were a bunch of different prongs in the box when you bought it, and you threw the other ones away. Perhaps they put the right one on at the factory.

However, it is labeled 100-240V 50/60Hz. This adapter will have no trouble running on British electricity... if you can get the right prongs on it.

You are looking for an adapter which lets you plug a US plug into a British socket. It doesn't have to change the voltage, it just has to change the prongs. Something like this one (a random Google result; I am not endorsing this particular product):

US to UK power adapter

Note: Be careful when plugging things into this adapter, because UK and US electricity are different and this will give you UK electricity with US prongs. This turntable can handle both, but some appliances can't!

  • Worth noting you can buy an adapter like this for super cheap on Amazon. Typically you'd get a pack of them for all the popular countries. Always handy to have around. – user91988 Sep 18 '20 at 14:33
  • 1
    @user91988: UK outlets can supply more current than those of many other countries. Consequently, proper UK plugs include fuses. The cheap adapters on Amazon and eBay may not all be as bad as the scary ones featured on various YouTube channels, but spending a few extra pounds to buy something that meets safety standards seems wiser than using something made by an essentially-anonymous manufacturer. – supercat Sep 18 '20 at 19:00
  • 1
    @supercat I know you say that, but I also haven't had any problems. Maybe I like to live on the edge, I dunno. – user91988 Sep 18 '20 at 20:27
  • Can also buy adapters in almost any airport. Not super cheap, but convenient. – WGroleau Sep 19 '20 at 15:20
  • The example in the photo DOES state "fused" on it. – StayOnTarget Sep 19 '20 at 16:21

Another option is to buy a replacement power supply which has the correct output voltage, polarity & connector and can handle a 2A current draw. Amazon sell plenty of 12v 2A power supplies such as this example https://www.amazon.co.uk/JnDeeTM-Quality-ADAPTER-Transformer-TRANSFORMER/dp/B00ENZUQO8

All of this information is marked on your existing adapter, notice:

  • OUTPUT 12V 2000mA
  • DC power symbol DC power
  • centre positive polarity symbol centre positive

What isn't marked is the plug diameter.

  • 2
    You need to ensure the connector on the other end is the same as well. – copper.hat Sep 17 '20 at 19:53
  • 1
    OP might choose to cut the end off the existing PSU and refit it to the new PSU, with solder and heatshrink. That's a workaround, and the only dangers are burn and possibly flipping the polarity by accident. – Criggie Sep 17 '20 at 23:53
  • Added connector to the list of requirements. – spikey_richie Sep 18 '20 at 7:06
  • There are so-called "universal" chargers/power supplies which come with a variety of connectors. You still have to ensure that it supports your voltage, power, and connector. – user24582 Sep 20 '20 at 7:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.