I have a German national visa (got through the work, although not working there anymore). Visa is still valid for 1 more year.

I want to get back to the EU (anywhere in the EU). But it seems like every country has a restriction for people coming outside of EU. But once you are in the EU, they allow you to travel kind of freely.

I checked the German rules. I didn't understand it correctly, but they said you need some letter from the employer that you are an essential worker (?) which I can't provide.

So what are alternative options for me to get back into the Schengen zone?

  • Where do you reside?
    – phoog
    Sep 15, 2020 at 15:24
  • @phoog India currently.
    – user38149
    Sep 15, 2020 at 15:28
  • What German rules were you checking?
    – phoog
    Sep 15, 2020 at 15:32
  • 4
    @VarunAgw Is your German visa still valid if you are no longer in employment in Germany? Did you/your employer inform the relevant Foreigners Authority of your change of circumstances?
    – Traveller
    Sep 15, 2020 at 16:18
  • 1
    Did you give up your apartment in Germany? If you formerly resided there then your strongest approach is likely to be establishing that you are a resident and that your recent extended absence, in light of the circumstances, should not be taken as interrupting your residence. This may be possible even if you gave up your apartment, though it seems like it might be a long shot.
    – phoog
    Sep 15, 2020 at 17:28

1 Answer 1


According to https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php, you can enter Germany because of an exception applying to "passengers with a long term visa issued by an EEA Member State or Switzerland."

While airlines will check IATA (Timatic, more specifically), it's prudent to check the official source which concurs. https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/faqs/EN/topics/civil-protection/coronavirus/travel-restrictions-border-control/travel-restriction-border-control-list.html#f14104798

EU citizens and nationals of the United Kingdom, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, Norway and Iceland and the members of their immediate family (spouse, unmarried minor children, parents of minors) are exempted from the travel restrictions.
The same applies to third-country nationals who already have a longer-term right of residence in an EU member state

  • I actually saw the official Germany website earlier but it didn't mention any such thing Link1 Link2
    – user38149
    Sep 15, 2020 at 15:37
  • So what do you suggest? Will you trust IATA over official website?
    – user38149
    Sep 16, 2020 at 20:00
  • @VarunAgw I suggest you read "What restrictions apply to air and sea travel outside of the European Union?" on Link2. The answer is there and concurs with IATA.
    – user4188
    Sep 18, 2020 at 7:10
  • @chx, this is more than just an edit and should have been a separate answer. (You know that some people do not like any edits, so keep your small as well.)
    – Willeke
    Sep 18, 2020 at 7:23
  • @Willeke It's the same answer ("EEA residents are welcome"), just with a second source -- VarunAgw asked for a more official source and actually they provided one, I just copied the link from the comment and made it a no-link-only edit.
    – user4188
    Sep 18, 2020 at 7:39

You must log in to answer this question.