As a Dutch citizen I would not normally be allowed to fly to the US at the moment from the Netherlands. However my 13 year old daughter lives there with her mother. Does this count as an exception that would give me permission to fly?

  • 4
    Is your daughter a US citizen? Aug 20, 2020 at 17:03
  • 5
    You can fly to the US without any restrictions by staying in a different country for 14 days first. Turkey is currently a popular option.
    – JonathanReez
    Aug 20, 2020 at 23:49
  • 9
    @Nzall What is unethical about it?
    – Szabolcs
    Aug 21, 2020 at 7:58
  • 27
    @Nzall I think you missed the point: there’s no suggestion to circumvent anything. The ban applies to people who have been in the designated countries in the last 14 days. If you stay out of those countries for 14 days, you’re no longer in the scope of the ban. What would be unethical would be to travel through that other country and pretend you’ve been there for 14 days when you haven’t, but that is not what was suggested.
    – jcaron
    Aug 21, 2020 at 8:12
  • 3
    The last country banned by the US was Brazil and that was two months ago. Since then numerous countries have had an explosion of cases but they weren't added to the travel ban, i.e. you can still travel to the US from Mexico by air. So I would say your odds are good, I did it myself recently.
    – JonathanReez
    Aug 21, 2020 at 12:28

1 Answer 1


Yes, according to Proclamation 9993, there are exceptions to the travel ban for:


(iii) any alien who is the parent or legal guardian of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, provided that the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident is unmarried and under the age of 21;


Note however that it seems you may need to have ample justification of this, including your daughter’s passport or other proof of US citizenship, and proof of her being your daughter (a birth certificate, probably).

Some ESTAs and visas may have been cancelled so you may need a new one.

Some US embassies advise you to contact them before departure.

You should probably check with your local US embassy or consulate for any special procedure or advice. There are lots of horror stories out there.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .