As above, I'm getting married on 1st Aug as a UK national. My wife is non-EU (Cameroonian) but has a residency card for the UK through her son-in-law who is Polish but resident in the UK.

Does she need a visa to visit another EU country for our honeymoon, i.e. Spain or Greece?

  • her residency card is for UK where she is living now with her daughter and son-in-law Jul 23 '20 at 14:35
  • This question is actually a expatriates.stackexchange.com question. An extra question would be: will the residence card of dependent of an EU Citizen living in another EU country remain valid after a marriage to a non EU Citizen. Any answer would also be conditional to when any visit takes place (during 2020 or after). Jul 23 '20 at 15:58
  • 1
    I would simplify. While she still holds the document card, it will be accepted at the border. Indeed, if she divorced in Poland the permit should have been withdrawn. Immigration officers check for documents at the travel date, so maybe the OP will have to consider changes in her status after marriage. Jul 23 '20 at 16:19
  • 1
    @Philip Johnstone The terminology you’re using is confusing. The UK is not part of Schengen. Please clarify eg does your wife hold an Article 10 or 20 Residence Card or a UK-issued EEA family permit? gov.uk/government/publications/…
    – Traveller
    Jul 23 '20 at 16:40
  • 1
    Because there is no such thing as "a schengen residency card for the UK" I have voted to close this question as needing clarity or additional details. Please edit the question to clarify precisely what document she has. Then I will retract my vote or vote to reopen.
    – phoog
    Jul 24 '20 at 0:33

Yes, citizens of Cameroon generally need a C-Visa to enter the Schengen Area for a short term visit.


Your future wife is a family member (Mother in law) of a EU Citizen (polish) residing in the United Kingdom (which is not a Schengen Member state) .

  • has an Article 10 or 20 Residence Card as a dependent family member
  • the EU Citizen, against which the residence card was issued, will not be traveling with her

When a family member is not travelling with or joining the EU Citizen, a C-Visa (Schengen Visa) is required. Such visas are generally issued under special conditions

  • free of charge (3.4.2 Visa Code Handbook)
  • an appointment is often not required and issued swiftly
  • multiple entries and valid for a longer period

Such an application must be made at the Consulate of your primary destination for the first visit (i.e. where you will be staying the longest or, in tie situations, the first).

You should check if your future spouse allready has such a visa and that it has not expired.

With such a visa, the 90/180 rule applies.

In theory, once you have married, she will become a spouse of an UK Citizen who, until the 31st of December 2020, will be treated as a EU Citizen within the Schengen Area. When traveling together your spouse would not need a visa during 2020.

So taking a verified copy of your marriage certificate with you should cover you both ways, insuring that any pedantic technocrat will find no fault, since a new United Kingdom residence permit will unlikely be issued in time for your honeymoon.

One would hope that a certain grace time exists for such situations, but I know of none.

  • 2
    Why wouldn't she need a visa if travelling with her British citizen husband? Why would the visa be free of charge if she isn't?
    – Relaxed
    Jul 24 '20 at 7:29
  • 2
    To clarify: what matters to the visa exemption is holding the appropriate residence card, not merely being the spouse of an EU citizen (there are some caveats but the visa requirement does in principle apply).
    – Relaxed
    Jul 24 '20 at 7:36
  • @Relaxed It's clearly stated within the answer. a) Travelling with her spouse, who will be treated as a EU Citizen during 2020 no visa is required. b) When traveling alone an Article 10/20 Residence card holder will be issued a visa free of charge. (3.4.2 Visa Code Handbook) Jul 24 '20 at 7:50
  • 2
    I share your interpretation of the facts but I am still surprised by the conclusions you draw from these facts. Could you cite a specific legal basis for your contentions? I would prefer a reference to the actual regulations but if you must quote a Handbook then with a link/date and a page number because it has changed quite a bit. The last version I found doesn't have a section 3.4.2 and in fact contradicts what you wrote (p. 102).
    – Relaxed
    Jul 24 '20 at 12:22
  • 2
    I just came across travel.stackexchange.com/questions/154802/… after it was bumped to the homepage and I noticed phoog already corrected the same mistake back in March. Will this become one of the falsehoods you keep repeating while dropping the discussion every time you're proven wrong?
    – Relaxed
    Jul 26 '20 at 18:10

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.