I returned to Canada from USA and the I-94 was not collected at the border. It has now expired. I can see my departure has been correctly noted on the CBP website: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/history-search.

Do I still need to return the expired I-94? If yes, can I just drive down to the border and hand it over instead of mailing it with all proofs?

  • 1
    If you live in Canada, and the I94 website is showing correctly that you've left, I see no problem with just leaving it as-is and not returning the expired I94. I live in Mexico, so no record is ever kept of me leaving the US (so my exit never shows on the I94 website), and I have never had any issues crossing back into the US and obtaining a new I94 when required. Of course things may be treated in a different manner at the northern border, which is why I haven't posted an answer as I've got nothing to support it
    – Midavalo
    Jul 11, 2020 at 20:25

1 Answer 1


The whole point of returning the I-94W form is to have your departure recorded. If your departure was recorded electronically (and correctly) there is no need to bother with returning the paper.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .