I am self-employed as an indie game developer and would like to visit New Zealand and Australia to do some touristing.
- Can I work on my projects (programming/design/online marketing/support) while visiting another country, say New Zealand or Australia?
- Can I do that for a month-long visit? What about longer periods: 90 days, 6 months?
- Can I do that under a regular tourist visa or do I need a different visa?
- Do I need to worry about taxes?
Not as important, but:
- Does the answer change if I (a) take on any (online) freelance work or (b) hire out some (online) freelance work while there?
Note that I am a US citizen. Also, assume things will return to the pre-COVID normal and the travel will take place long after the pandemic is over.
Similar questions, but asking about the UK: Can a US citizen live and work remotely in the UK for a month? (answer is no?) and Japan: Can a US citizen work remotely for a US company while in Japan for sightseeing? (conflicting answers, but it also seems like a no?).