Soon, I'm hoping to travel to South Korea to get voice surgery. I remember hearing of these laminated cards that you could use to point to a phrase or something in order to help communicate. Do you know what these are called? (Perhaps phrase card, but since NOTHING is coming up when I look for Korean phrase cards, I'm thinking it might be called something else). It might look something like this (but include a bit more information):

A picture of a page including phrases in English and Korean. On this particular page, it is a picture of phrases to use at restaurants and at the airport

  • 1
    Something like this? sprachriegel.de/shop/korea-riegel Unfortunately I can't find a Korean-English version (only Korea-German one) for this. The Chinese version looks fine to me but I never used it so I can't comment on how effective it is.
    – xngtng
    May 28 '20 at 10:47
  • 1
    Have you considered Google Translate on a mobile phone as an alternative? In addition to being a dynamic phrase book you can show people, it can translate speech in real time and in both directions. May 29 '20 at 2:08
  • Hi @lambshaanxy, yeah, I have considered it but the problem is my cellular carrier sucks with international coverage. May 29 '20 at 16:48
  • 1
    @VeroniqueBellamy Google Translate can work fully offline, just download the Korean pack before you go. May 30 '20 at 0:13

Not cards, but I have a copy of This, Please, which lets you point to a picture of the thing or activity you are interested in. To go with that, you could perhaps make a card with translations of

Don’t want
I am unable to speak

I've used a picture dictionary when I first visited Japan. It worked out pretty well, and it was divided into categories so it was easy to find the item/word you wanted.

They have a Korean one: ISBN-10: 0804849323 ISBN-13: 978-0804849326 UNSPSC Code: 55101500

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.