As mentioned in a related question, I need to fly from the US to Europe and back due to some urgent unfortunate business. On my way back I will need to stay out of the Schengen area for 14 days before I'm allowed back, due to a government regulation signed into law back in March.

It looks like Mexico city still has direct flights to both Europe and the US, so it looks like the optimal option on the way back to the US. But are there currently any restrictions whatsoever on flying into Mexico as a foreign national? Can I fly in, rent a hotel room, stay for 14 days, and fly out? Normally I'd check the IATA travel center for a list of restrictions, but they don't list any.

Update: looks like Cancun is now open?

  • 1
    Maybe not, given that President Bolsonaro pretty much thinks Covid is a hoax :-)
    – Traveller
    Commented Apr 30, 2020 at 19:41
  • Hotel room would be hard. The Mexican government has mandated a closure of hotels in Mexico City except for essential business.
    – xngtng
    Commented Apr 30, 2020 at 19:41
  • 9
    @Traveller Bolsonaro is the President of Brazil, not the President of Mexico. Commented Apr 30, 2020 at 19:58
  • 1
    @DavidSupportsMonica So he is! Stupid mistake :-)
    – Traveller
    Commented Apr 30, 2020 at 20:15
  • @Traveller No worries. You probably just read JonathanReez' other thread which devolved into using Brazil as a possible transit point. Commented Apr 30, 2020 at 20:17

3 Answers 3


Update (2020-09-22): European citizens can still enter Mexico (regardless of the means of transportation) and hotels are progressively reopening. From https://www.afar.com/magazine/can-americans-visit-mexico-right-now (mirror) (2020-09-15):

Mexico’s states have each had different phased reopenings, depending on the number of cases and hospital occupation, among other metrics. On June 1, the government introduced a national “stoplight” system to phase in the return of nonessential activities. Red states are essentially in lockdown, with just essential activities allowed; oranges states allow restaurants, hotels, and stores to open with limited capacity. Daily updates are posted here.


It does not appear that the Mexican government is presently banning entry by foreign nationals, but you will not be able to rent a hotel room unless you are traveling for actividades económicas esenciales.

For further information in English, see the US Embassy in Mexico's COVID-19 information page, though note of course that the US Embassy does not officially speak for the Mexican government and everything (including, but certainly not limited to, US entry restrictions if that's your ultimate goal) is subject to change on short notice.

It is better for you and your community if you are able to limit travel during this period. Consider if your urgent business can be done remotely from the US, or if you can stay in Europe after you finish this business.

  • Is Airbnb allowed to operate?
    – JonathanReez
    Commented Apr 30, 2020 at 22:00
  • 1
    @JonathanReez Airbnb in Mexico has told their hosts they are not able to host currently. Source I live in Mexico and have friends who are airbnb hosts (multiple friends)
    – Midavalo
    Commented May 1, 2020 at 0:45
  • Any updates on this, given traveloffpath.com/…? I've opened a bounty for an up-to-date answer.
    – JonathanReez
    Commented Jun 9, 2020 at 23:43

No, based on the Embassy of Mexico in Germany notice of the 18th of March 2020, the government of Mexico imposes no restrictions for people entering from Europe or any other country because of the coronavirus.

The site also states the the consulate offices reopened on the 4th of May, so one can assume that this notice is up to date.

The screenshot was taken on the 9th of June 2020.

Note: The German (and as far as I can tell from the Spanish) text differs in meaning from the English

  • using the word flights instead of peaple entering (Einreisende)

Embassy of Mexico in Germany, notice of 2020-03-18


  • But what about hotels?
    – JonathanReez
    Commented Jun 10, 2020 at 3:03
  • @JonathanReez Well the Embassy won't have information on that, but your source states that Mexico has a regional 'traffic light' system. Orange seem to mean that tourism (thus hotels) are allowed. One would then have to find a source where the regional classification is listed and look up your area of interest. The system seems to be similar to that of France. Commented Jun 10, 2020 at 3:10
  • the English translation provided by the Embassy is fine; "viaje" most closely means "journey" or "trip" (a traveler is a "viajera/o") but flights are the only sorts of trips that are really relevant traveling from Europe to Mexico.
    – mlc
    Commented Jun 10, 2020 at 6:43

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .