I have been an Australian Permanent Resident for 7 years. This means I am allowed to remain in the country till I die, with complete rights to work, government assistance, etc. Yet I don't have the right to re-enter the country after a trip abroad. This seems like a weird situation.

I'm curious: What happens if I turn up at Australian Immigration without the required Residents Return Visa?

(I am approved for citizenship, but I am not a citizen because I am still waiting for a pledge ceremony)

  • 1
    As I understand it they expect permanent residents to apply for citizenship as soon as they are eligible (after 4 years, before your 5 year travel facility expires.). – Michael Hampton Apr 9 '20 at 10:22
  • @MichaelHampton I think many could be waiting >1 year just for their citizenship ceremony in the current circumstances... though there has been talk of a move to online ceremonies. – Iain Apr 9 '20 at 23:14
  • @MichaelHampton I don't think there is any such expectation, and I know people who have been in Australia for >10 years as PR, typically because their country doesn't allow dual citizenship. – lambshaanxy Apr 10 '20 at 5:31

You will not be able to turn up at Australian immigration, because your documentation will be checked by the airline first, and you will be denied boarding for lack of a valid Australian visa.

However, as an Australian PR, you can apply for a new RRV even if your previous one has expired. You will need to demonstrate that you've been in Australia for at least 2 of the last 5 years, or that you have other "substantial ties to Australia that are of benefit to Australia".

  • 1
    I think that instead of "entry" in the second line, it'd be clearer to use the words "boarding the flight to Australia." – DavidSupportsMonica Apr 10 '20 at 14:58
  • @DavidSupportsMonica Good point, updated. – lambshaanxy Apr 11 '20 at 5:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.