We have a Florida property and want to spend 4 months there in order to miss the cold British winters. Is it easy to get a visa for this?

  • 1
    Usually (at least for most of South American countries is) you can visit USA (with tourism visa) for 3 month maximum (continuously). But you can get an extension (3 months more) in your embassy, once you are close to the first 3 months.
    – JuanCa
    Mar 11, 2020 at 0:16
  • 2

1 Answer 1


As a British citizen, you can spend up to 90 days per visit on the visa waiver program (VWP). Once you have entered the US under the VWP, there is effectively no way to extend your visit. (The exceptions are for close family members of US citizens and for things like medical emergencies.)

In order to spend more than 90 days in the US, you can apply before you travel for a B-2 visa. B-2 visitors are generally admitted for six months per visit.

More information is available on the Tourism and Visitor pages of the US diplomatic mission to the UK.

You ask

Is it easy to get a visa for this?

For some people, it is quite easy, and for others, it is quite difficult. Most British citizens who can afford to own property in Florida will probably not have much trouble with it, but there are all sorts of factors that could make it very difficult indeed.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.