Hiya we are travelling to Mexico and I have a British passport and my husband has a Indian passport he has a UK spouse visa with leave to remain. Am I right I’m saying he will not need a visa. Thanks


For Indian citizens travelling to Mexico, Timatic, the system used by airlines to check required documentation states:

“The following are exempt from holding a visa:

Passengers with a permanent residence permit issued by United Kingdom for a maximum stay of 180 days.”

Source: https://www.timaticweb2.com/integration/external.php?ref=d975cfc59f5c0abd06d16e872198110b

This means that your husband must have Indefinite Leave to Remain in order to qualify for visa-free entry. If he has Limited Leave to Remain, he needs a visa.

  • However when I click this link and put details in it says the documents we have are sufficient. I.e the residence permit with leave to remain. I’m very confused – Amarjit Mar 3 '20 at 16:18
  • @Amarjit are you confused by the "for a maximum stay of 180 days" part of the statement? That's the maximum amount of time your husband can stay in Mexico. – mkennedy Mar 3 '20 at 16:58
  • @mkennedy that is also the maximum amount of time the UK passport holder can visit Mexico. Any longer than that requires Mexico residency – Midavalo Mar 3 '20 at 16:59
  • Does OP's husband have indefinite leave to remain / permanent residence though? It seems he has a visa, which is quite temporary. – kiradotee Mar 3 '20 at 23:34
  • 1
    I guess maybe my comment was more relevant to @Midavalo as they mentioned "In other words your documents are sufficient", which I believe is false. But your answer is obviously correct as it states the facts as they are about the requirements. – kiradotee Mar 3 '20 at 23:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.